... a Miscellany of Interesting, Notable, or just plain Funny Things
- • Portrait of a World Leader
an unnerving comparison between the WWI German Kaiser and a certain President of the United States
- • Goops
a didactic poem about manners
- • The Purpose of a University Education
... the more deeply a society cultivates this knowledge and mindset, the more it will flourish.
- • A Sermon Interrupted
a little mouse... jumped right into her lap
- • Doing the Hokey Pokey in the style of William Shakespeare
Verily, I say, ’tis what it’s all about.
- • The Costa Concordia shipwreck as an Italian opera
In the end, it was the musician–not the captain–who went down with the ship
Preparing to Remove the Concordia’s Wreckage
“This operation is pushing the boundaries of marine technology.”
Pulling It Upright
Nearly two years after the disaster, the wreck is rolled on to an underwater platform, then pulled into the upright position. Human remains are found.
Much still needs to be done before the wreck can be hauled away.
- • An Easter service some might want to forget.
an organist writes to friends about a series of hilarious disasters... ‘hilarious,’ that is, to us, who weren’t living in them when they happened.
- • What’s Wrong with this Picture?
a photo of some U.S. lawmakers, concentrating on...?
- • A Sweet Italian Mother
...is there something more between Anthony and his roommate than meets the eye?
- • This could happen to anyone, couldn’t it?
I slipped the key into the ignition, but it wouldn’t turn.
- • Note To All Hunters
- • A Strange Committee
“half men and half women…”
- • George Carlin’s view on aging
“…after that it’s a day-by-day thing: you hit Wednesday!”
- • When Insults had Class…
“his mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork”
- • There will be a slight delay...
“...ended up in a fistfight with her daughter...”
- • An Incredible Photo
“Huge waves crash in the port of Wimereux, in northern France...”
- • Fun with Bell Canada... NOT!
- No, this is not my own adventure with Bell. Its by someone in Port Hope, Ontario, who calls himself Prometheus
... if they want money for nothing, they should sue me, Tee Hee.
- • Children: at Home and at Play
The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy; It will, however, make cats dizzy.
- • New Pipes for the Church Organ
... and an unexpected reaction
There was a barely audible whoosh as the air pressure built up, and then the trompette rang out brightly, marvellously
- • Meditation on the word, Guidance
... a thoughtful piece that was circulating the internet in the summer of 2005
The dance takes surrender, willingness, and attentiveness from one person - and gentle guidance and skill from the other.
- • Taking the Royal Dog to a Shrink.
I am sure it is just a dog who is feeling a bit out of sorts about something...
- • Reflections on the Descent into Old Age.
I think my brain is trying to kill me!
- • How to Give a Reluctant Cat a Pill
Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa.
- • What we worship and obey
... theologian Harvey Cox observes that The Market may be the real God of our age
"the business sections of Timeand Newsweek turned out to bear a striking resemblance to Genesis"
- • Demi, the Intrepid
- A friend of mine makes it into the National Post... actually, her dog does.
"...reports drifted in about a white miniature poodle travelling south on Highway 7"
- • Kermit goes to the Doctor
- ... a cartoon
"...these xrays may come as a shock to you..."
- • The industrious beaver's big day passes by unnoticed
- Canada's National icon turns 25, and what happens? Nothing.
"Precisely how to celebrate this event remains a question. Stare at a nickel? Bite a tree?"
- • The Physics of Hell
- A student gives a unique analysis of Boyle's Law and the possible temperature in Hell.
(No great physics background required to enjoy this!)
"... the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose."
- • The relationship between government lotteries and pimping
- "Not to put too fine a point on it, we are all, humble voter and exalted politician alike, pimps in a way."
- • A 133-word sentence which took top prize for BAD WRITING ! !
- "...served only to replicate in his actualist monovalent analytic reinstatement..."
(this site changes from time to time... drop in again!)
.....last updated, Tuesday, December 3, 2013, at 3:07 PM